If you identify as LGBTQ, if you’re looking to start your own support group, or if you want to learn more about the community and what it means to be an ally, here are some great resources to get started:
- Comprehensive List of LGBTQ+ Vocabulary Definitions
- Rainbow Youth – a charitable organisation dedicated to helping young queer and gender diverse (LGBTQ) people up to the ages of 27.
- InsideOUT – a national organisation which provides youth, whānau, schools and communities with resources and workshops to make Aotearoa a safer place for all young people of minority genders and sexualities to live and be in.
- OUTLine – This confidential phone service (0800 OUTLINE) has been provided to the LGBTQ community, their friends and families since 1972.
- QRD NZ – started in 1995 to provide an online resource for New Zealand focusing on the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities.
- DrugRehab – useful guide about substance abuse, its effect on the LGBTQ+ community and resources and ways to support someone with addiction.
If any of your LGBTQ friends are feeling suicidal, please seek help immediately by contacting 111 and/or a medical professional.
If you’d like to write for us, send in your story here.